Christmas Day this year marks the 90th anniversary of the first Mass celebrated in the current church at St Mary’s Concord.
The current church is the third church to have been built on the parish site. The parish was founded in 1870 although the first church was opened on the site in 1845. The second church was opened and blessed in 1874.
The foundation stone for the third and present church was laid by the Apostolic Delegate, Rev. Dr. B. Cattaneo in 1928 and the first Mass was celebrated in the church on Christmas Day 1928. The church was blessed on 17 March 1929 by Archbishop Michael Kelly, Archbishop of Sydney.